Wednesday 13 April 2011

The Indispensables

The commodities of every day life make our day easier and more enjoyable. I have mentioned before that luxury is in the things you touch and use everyday.  Someone once commented that I must have very expensive taste, but luxuries don’t have to be expensive.  Here are a few of my favourite, affordable everyday luxuries.

 

What are yours?

 

1.- THE SOAP

Soap on a Rope (Always!) – I love the smell of Verbena by L’Occitane.  It smells fresh and clean and looks great in the bathroom.

 

image

 

2.- THE SPONGE

I like their organic shape and they last for a long time – Plus they match my sponge Bob band-aids (lol)

 

image

 

3.- THE IRONS

Rowenta all the way – I have a team of 2 hardworking irons – The Steamium for my shirts and linens,   and the Rowneta Pro-Compact Steamer for jackets, pants and polos.  They are my loyal friends and they are always  there when I need them.

 

image

 

 

4.- THE WOOD HANGER

They keep the clothes in the best shape and they look better than typical wire or plastic hangers.

 

image

 

5.- THE COFFEE

Le Cube by Nespresso – If you love coffee and love design this is the machine for you, plus the quality of the coffee is great.

 

image

 

6.- THE CUP & SAUCER

Jasper Conran for Wedgewood – White Strata.  Simple and nice to look at.  I like the saucer with its concentric debossed circles and the juxtaposition of the clean smooth cup.

 

image_thumb[13]

 

7.- THE I-PHONE

What can I say, It is my loyal personal assistant.

 

image

 

8.-THE PEN

Yes, I am pen hoarder according my wonderful team.  I usually have 2 to 3 Micron #3 pens with me.  Hey! you never know when you will need to sketch something or sign an autograph.

 

image[20]_thumb[7]

 

9.- THE WATER DECANTER

You need to keep hydrated why not doing it with a little bit of style.

 

image_thumb[15]

 

10.- THE SHEETS

White Frette – I swore they put some sort of drug in them – Once you sleep in them you can’t replicate the experience with any other kind of linens.

 

image



MEADE DESIGN GROUP - THE BLOG. Copyright 2007-2011

10 comments:

Karena said...

All great Little luxuries Ivan.

I would adore a set of Frette sheets!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

peggy braswell said...

Try Vetiver by Guerlain or Curzon from Geo.F. Trumper...divine. Grand post. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

pve design said...

love your list!!! do you have a favorite flower or scent?
pve

VICTORIA said...

I'd love the sheets!Great post!

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

Hi! Peggy - Thanks for the advice. I have heard about Vetiver - Now I definitely need to try it.

Hi!Patricia - I love Verbena. It is one of my favourite scents. I use Antidote lotion by Viktor&Rolf everyday which has Verbena as one of its main ingredients.

My favourite flower its called Queen of a Night - It is a cactus flower that only blooms on Full Moon and only I summer night per year. I had the opportunity to see it in person once and since then I can't forget it. For everyday life I like white freesias and anything white brings a sense of peace.

What are yours?

Echo said...

They are all great - I have been meaning to get one of those rowenta steamers since you first told me about it.

Let's see, life's little luxuries...

Mine would have to be my iPhone as well, my coach bag, my vanilla plantation tea from Silk Road, my subscription to Rolling Stone and Cadbuty Mini-Eggs!!!

And if we can count husband, family friends, and pets in there, they are probably my most prized luxuries!!!

Unknown said...

Ivan & Echo,


Ditto all of the above and live you blog's new look too!

The best way to live a fabulous life is use your tools and enjoy life's simple things both in design, use of time, and with family and friends.

I also love my iPhone it enables me to keep pictures of all of my favorite things + talk, tweet, Skype, email photos to family, friends, clients as well as sketch ideas and read books.

Great list and I'll be saving snaps of your favorites to try.
friends connect universally

CREED said...

Love your list Ivan, mine includes many of the same and I would have to include fresh flowers. These are the things that make everyday living beautiful. Its not about how expensive they are, or how grand of a house they're in,,,its the simple luxuries that bring joy and enhance the routine moments of your day. Something we can all indulge in....

Carol

Anonymous said...

Great list...I think I would add Jack Black's mint lip balm-I'm addicted :)

KImme

Liz Carter said...

Great list, and you sold me on the sheets!